Wednesday, January 14, 2015

 This week I did more research on Dr. Fasano at Mass General. Dr. Fasano started at the Center for Celiac Research at University of Maryland.  While researching a vaccine for Cholera, he discovered a toxin, zonulin.  He found that the zonulin plays a role in the  pathogenesis of a number of autoimmune diseases, including celiac disease, type 1 diabetes, and certain cancers and diseases of the nervous system. He is now the director at Mass General's Celiac Research Center. Finding a cause of this disease is a priority for the Center of Celiac Research. Fasano says as many as 1 in 133 people have this disease. Grosse Pointe South has 1,673 students, so approximately 12 students have Celiac, just in our school. I then found out that there is a nationwide walk/run to raise money and awareness for Celiac and Celiac research. For this walk you can form your own teams and gather people to support the Celiac research. I plan to try to form a team for the event. Although I can't do the walk/run due to my current health conditions, I hope to get enough people to for a team. This walk takes place in various cities around the U.S. The Tri County Celiac Support Group is putting on a walk at the Ford House here in Grosse Pointe, on Sunday May 17, 2015 at 8:00am. The link for all the walks held around the country and ways to donate money for the Celiac research is below. Next week, I plan to make a webpage on the walk site for my team.
www.celiacwalk.org
 

2 comments:

  1. The walk sounds like a great idea! I would love to hear more about it and possibly join your team for the walk if you still need team memebers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachael!! That would be great! I'm still working out the details, but I'll be sure to keep you posted!!

      Delete